Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Elliott and I have been busy in the garden over the past week. We hired one of the local nurseries to come move two of our Douglas Firs forward about 2 feet, so they wouldn't be in the way of then fence. Unfortunately, it wasn't far enough forward, so this weekend we will be trying to move them ourselves. Elliott also helped me clear out a couple of beds in front of our deck, and we moved some densiformis yews so we will have some evergreen plants to look at
out the window in the winter. I am in the process of enlarging the beds, and am going to add (gasp) roses! Roses seem to be difficult to grow here in Indiana due to our cold winters and humid summers. But they are too gorgeous for me to resist. These are the two I ordered today from www.jacksonandperkins.com The top red rose is called "Black Cherry Floribunda", the bottom rose is "Tuscan Sun Floribunda".
Our last frost date isn't until May 31st, so I won't be able to fill in my beds in the front of our yard until June. I am really looking forward to getting to the nursery to see all the gorgeous plants available this summer. It is so hard for me to choose. Luckily, I have narrowed my planting scheme in the back yard to the colors red, yellow, white, and dark purple (except for "Tuscan Sun", but I think it will look good in that scheme!)
Sunday, April 23, 2006
Here is a first look at our new fence... It still needs to be painted, which hopefully will happen in the next couple of weeks. We are pretty sure a couple of our neighbors are unhappy with us for breaking up the neighborhood backyard view, but we love how it turned out. We almost feel like we are in California now, especially since our weather lately has been amazing!
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Thursday, April 13, 2006
1. What color are your kitchen plates? White
2. What book are you reading? I just finished abook Lauren loaned me called "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" It was good, but only took me one day to read. I think I am about to start a biography of George Washington if I can't find anything better.
3. What's on your mouse pad? We don't use a separate mouse.
4. Favorite board game? Dealer's Choice
5. Least favorite smells? Lots of stuff right now!
6. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in themorning? Uhg!
7. What are your 2 favorite colors? Red and ocean blue
8. Least favorite colors? purple and orange
9. How many rings until you answer the phone? 3-4
10. Future child name? Sophie Carla or Clayton Elliott (so don't anyone else take them!) *grin*
11. Chocolate or vanilla? chocolate (Rocky Road)
12. Do you like to drive fast? no
13. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? Just my hubby!
14. Do you like thunderstorms? yes, unless they are accompanied by tornadoes
15. What was your first car? Black Pontiac Sunfire
16. Is your house clean or messy right now? MESSY, but I am pregnant and naseous, so give me a break!
17. Do you eat the stems of Broccoli? yes
18. If you could have any job what would it be? mom
19. If you could have any color hair, what would it be? Blond toehead
20. Is the glass half full or half empty? half full
21. Favorite movie? A and E version of "Pride and Prejudice"
22. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? nope
23. What's under your bed? window screens (don't ask)
24. Your single biggest intense pain? labor!
27. Ketchup or mustard? both! (except on corn dogs, I only like mustard!)
28. Hamburger or hot dog? corndog
29. What is your favorite season? Spring
30. The best place you have ever been? Maui
31. What screen saver is on your computer right now? plain black screen
32. Favorite fast food? Qdoba (when I am not pregnant!)
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Burying Daddy on the beach in Ka'anapali
We just got back from a short week in Maui.... it was amazing. The weather was perfect for us, and it was so warm!! Emma loved the beach (and only almost drowned once!) and the boys loved the pool. Andrew went snorkling in the ocean with Elliott, we took a fun boat ride on a glass bottom boat, visited the aquarium, and even hung out with Bama and Pa one day. We also did a little shopping and bought a cool round hawaiian quilt for our basement. Anyway, Hope you enjoyed the pictures... Elliott is working on a website with rest of them.