(at a local burger joint a few weeks ago to celebrate a super warm St. Patrick's Day--Hugh, we looked for your picture but couldn't find it!)
Mary tagged me for 6 random things... luckily this is a slow week in the P* household, so here ya go...
6 Random Things You Really Didn't Care About:
1. I am really bad at reading privatized blogs. I am sorry, I just am! I use Google reader for all the blogs I read, but it doesn't pick up private blogs. So if you have one, I probably only reading it once every six months when I remember. I'm sorry! Really, I am! It's just that it's hard to remember, as I am usually on the computer with the kids trying to wiggle in and watch John Williams tributes, or silly kitties on You Tube, so what can a girl do? Using Google reader has streamlined for me. I love it!
2. For the past 6 months I have been on a major food storage/emergency preparedness kick. I don't know why, but I have really been obsessed with it! The good thing is, it encouraged me to get my garden boxes made last Fall, so we have already planted lettuce this past week, and have jalapenos growing in the family room! I even bought a humongous pressure canner so that when we get our huge yield of tomatoes (we are growing 9 plants!) we can preserve some of them, plus all the pears we will hopefully get again! Yummy!
3. I really like to travel, but almost every time I fly, I get a major migraine, and end up throwing up on landing. Seriously, it's a problem! One year, we took the 3 oldest kids to Hawaii for Spring Break, and I was about 3 months pregnant with Sophie. Traveling from Indiana to Hawaii takes a long time, and then one of our bags was lost, so we were at the airport for a long time, and then it took a really long time to get to the condo we were staying at. I threw up 5 times en route to the condo. It was awful! Luckily I had a plastic bag with me, but it wasn't a good way to start the vacation. Elliott had to put me to sleep, and set the kids up with a video, before going off to get groceries for us. Poor guy! He is always so good with me and my crazy sicknesses!
4. I like brown rice better than white rice. The funny thing about this is that about a year ago my mom said the same thing, and I thought she was crazy, but we have been having lots of brown rice lately, and I really do like it better. My kids are starting to like it more too (at least they don't complain when they get it!), which is good because it is so much healthier than white. Maybe I'll post a couple of recipes later...
5. I just received Pride and Prejudice and Zombies in the mail, and I can't wait to read it. Weird, I know. But I couldn't resist when I saw it on Amazon. Its Jane Austen's P&P, exactly, but with Zombies stuck in. I'll let you know how it is...
6. Along the lines of #1, in the past 2 weeks I have unsubscribed from about 30 blogs that I used to waste time on. Yes, I admit.... they were a super time waster. They were either quilting/craft blogs, or "design" blogs. You know the kind... they post all kinds of pretty things I can't afford. I realized that both types of blogs were sucking me into a materialistic mind set, and if I wasn't buying fabric/patterns/stuff, I was lamenting the fact that others were able to have cute houses, and get lots of quilts/sewing made in so short a time. I realized it was sucking my joy from me. I don't need that, so I got rid of the blogs. I have loads more time, and don't feel bad about how little crafting I actually do. I'm pretty happy with my life as it is, which is a very lucky way to be.
Speaking of my life... I'm trying to decide if the kids and I should clean the basement first, or go to the market first... either way, I'm off! Consider yourself tagged if you have a spare moment, or fill the need to sluff off for a moment! :-)