Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A day in the life of this pregnant woman

I really wanted to post yesterday, but, in the words of Alexander, it was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

Sometimes I wonder if I am just making all this sickness up in my mind.  An attention getting measure, perhaps.  Yesterday cleared that notion up for me, once again.

Monday was a great day.  I had more energy than usual, and less nausea.  I did laundry, somewhat cleaned the kitchen, played games and read books with the children.  These don't seem like much, but compared to my usual daily accomplishments of late, this is a lot!  I thought to myself that maybe if I just decided to make each day a good day, and forced myself to get things done, I would be able to overcome the sickness that follows my pregnancies until the 5th month.

Tuesday morning, I decided to put my experiment to the test.  I got up with the boys when their alarm went off.  I felt my energy draining each second as I tried to encourage them to actually get out of bed and get dressed for school.  Finally we made it downstairs to the kitchen, where I had my first throw-up of the day (let's call those outlets from now on...  it seems less yucky, and I don't want you all to be grossed out by this post.)  This is pretty normal, to outlet as soon as I get down to the kitchen, so didn't let it bother me too much.  Elliott came down and made the boys fried eggs, and I made oatmeal for Sophie and me.  I only ate about half as much as usual, because my stomach wasn't feeling the love, but I hoped that would be okay.  Dear, wonderful Elliott has been making dinner almost every day for us since we came home from our Christmas trip out west, and constantly struggles to know what I will be able to eat and keep down.  Since I wasn't feeling too horrible, I decided to make a list of meals for the week, and a grocery list for him (he has done all the grocery shopping since we got back too.)

After the boys left for school, Sophie, Emma and I played a couple of rounds of Sequence Junior, and then I decided to clean the dishes from breakfast.  I got them all washed just fine, and then once I had started a load of laundry, I decided to go upstairs, back to bed, and rest for a little while, as my energy was pretty much spent.  Being of "advanced maternal age" as my OB jokingly calls it, I definitely see a difference in my energy levels compared to my pregnancies back in my 20's.

I never could fall asleep, so I came downstairs to try to eat a little more food.  Green apples are supposed to have something in them that helps with nausea, and sometimes for me they do work.  I sat down at our kitchen island with my apple, and tried to finish the menu planning.  After about 20 minutes, I knew another outlet was coming.  I ran to the kitchen sink (much better than outletting in the toilet, you just need to make sure you have bleach handy to spray in the sink afterwards.  TMI?)  and up came the apple and the oatmeal.  Loverly.

Once again super wiped out, I grabbed my computer, sat down on the red floral chair in the family, which has become my "spot", and vegged out for a long time.  Finally my hunger was getting too great, so I made a bowl of ramen, and at least got that in my stomach.

Elliott made lunch for the girls (it is such a blessing to have him work at home) before he went to workout, and they spent the afternoon watching barbie movies in the basement.  I sat at my computer and completed a few batches of indexing.

I started to get a little headache, but opted not to take any Tylenol, because I didn't want to take it and then outlet it (swallowing pills does that to me.)  Soon, Ethan got home from school, and as he had no homework, he opted to watch movies with the girls. Elliott got home with groceries, and I began to feel a little bit better, (at least I knew I wouldn't be outletting anytime soon,) so I went to pick Andrew up from Math Bowl practice so Elliott could try to actually get work done (poor guy, most of his work gets done late at night after the rest of us go to bed.)

When I got home, I wanted to try making dinner.  It sounded so good to me... roasted vegetable over couscous with pine nuts.  I managed to get everything in the oven (it's not stinky food, afterall), and managed to eat it all, and even enjoy it.

I noticed my headache was getting worse, so I sat down to rest in my "spot" again.  Elliott left for a meeting he had, and after about an hour it was time to take Ethan to basketball practice.  By this time, I knew my headache was turning into a migraine, but I didn't have the energy to walk upstairs to get the Tylenol.  I got everyone bundled up, and got Ethan to basketball on time.  Then the other three children and I came home.  They got into their pajamas promptly (thank you, dear sweet children), brushed their teeth, and sat on their beds to read until Elliott would get home about an hour later with Ethan.  In the meantime, I went to bed also.  First, I finally took the Tylenol, and then I climbed in bed.  Then I realized I had left the fan on in the bathroom, the light on in the bathroom, and the light on in my bedroom entry, but at this point my head hurt to much to do anything about it.

About 15 minutes later, Sophie came in my room asking to have a book read to her.  I asked her to ask Andrew to read it to her, and then asked her to turn the fan off in the bathroom before she left.  She happily complied, and even offered to turn the bathroom lights of and entry lights off.  She is such a sweetheart, always taking care of me (she often brings me stuffed animals to sleep with when she knows I am not feeling well.)

Andrew wouldn't read her the book, as he was engrossed in his own at the moment, so back she came to me.  I read her the book in very dim light, my head pounding harder and harder with each sentence.  After the one book I told her she would have to go back to her bed and read on her own, so she did.

Pretty soon Elliott got home, finished putting the kids to bed, and came into our bedroom to change out of his clothes from the meeting.  The next thing I know, I am flying into our bathroom, outletting the whole of dinner.  Oh, it was miserable!  And surprising too.  It wasn't that flavorful going down, but it certainly burned coming back up. (I know, TMI AGAIN!!) Sorry!  I won't go into details about what else happened, except to tell you that I have never had a very strong bladder, and, well, there is a lot of pressure on your bladder when you are throwing up.  Sigh...

I went back to bed, and knew I couldn't take another Tylenol for 5 more hours.  I wasn't sure how much had gotten into my blood stream yet, and being pregnant, I didn't want to chance an overdose.  It took a while, as my brain felt like someone was banging a chisel in it, but I finally fell asleep.  I woke up again at 1am, but still couldn't take the Tylenol.  I lay tossing and turning, head still pounding, and finally fell asleep for another hour or so.  When I woke up a little past 3am, I finally took more Tylenol, and my head began to hurt a little less.  I fell back asleep until 6 this morning.

Today I am still severely lacking energy, and my brain is feeling the lingering effects of the migraine.  They seem to stick around for a few days.  I think that is why when I was reading a passage in a book earlier, I read fish taco, instead of fish sauce.  oh boy...

I am not writing this to complain.  I feel that I am very lucky to be able to have children.  As this is our 5th, I knew what I was getting myself into.  Each day, I get further and further behind on laundry and housekeeping, but I have to say that I am not too troubled by it.  I know that this is a temporary trial, and compared to others' trials, it is extremely minor.  Soon we will have a sweet baby that will make all the discomfort fade from memory.  But I do like to document what pregnancy is like for me.  The day above is somewhat typical.  I have some good days, but I have more that leave me wondering what the heck I was thinking!

Dear little Swedish meatball,
  You are loved.  I wish I knew right now what gender you were so I could start planning your nursery and make you a quilt.  In the meantime, please know that I don't hold anything against you that I have written above.
With love, your mother.

(Sophie, doing what she (sadly) does too often...  watching a movie)

The view on our street as the kids left for school this morning.


stephanie said...

guy. i don't know how you do it, ginger. and with a positive attitude, too! can i come clean your house and do your laundry? i wish i could.

joojierose said...

i second what steph says. i'll clean your house for you! oh that just sounds horrible. i'm so sorry - it's a good thing your babies are oh oh oh so cute!!

Sally DeFord said...

I can really relate to this post and I have only done it twice. It's so nice to know it ends and is worth it. I considered hiring someone to clean our house during my last morning sickness. You are amazing bringing all these beautiful children into the world.

Mindy H. said...

oh my goodness. i'm so sorry. it's wonderful that you have elliott to help out. i wish we were closer so that ruby and sophie could play together - or watch movies together. ruby loves to do both. :)

Jessi said...

Yikes! That's rough. I wish I had a magic wand that could "bibbity-bobbity-boo" you better.

I think that someday your "little swedish meatball" will read this and really feel how much you love him/her. I think it's good for kids to gain a little understanding of what mothers go through to bring them into the world. (In addition to all that we do for them once they are here!)

Barbara said...

Oh Ginger, wish I was there to help you. You said that even though you are going through all of this the baby will may you forget it all. Your attitude is wonderful and so grateful Elliott is there to help you.
Love you