Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The cooking and cleaning are done...

...which means I can get on to the sewing.  In this case, I'm counting the upholstery class I'm currently taking.

Not too much happened at the last class, other than getting started on the un-upholstering.  I spent the whole 2.5 hours taking staples out of my chair, and I'm still not done.  It was painful, as there are a lot of staples in this chair!  Here are a few progress pics:

The first thing to come off was the underside of the chair.  My in-laws had the set of these chairs for many years before I go this one.  They have even been recovered once.  But the springs and padding are still in great shape.  I don't think I will need to replace any of it.
 When I peeled back the fabric on the outer back of the chair, we found burlap underneath.  I think this helps strengthen the back, so I assume I will be replacing it.  If you enlarge the photo, you can see lots of staples on the little table.  There are tons more on the floor.
 The back is completely off!
For more info on taking a reupholstery class with our amazing teacher Shelley Lear, click here

And to see more pictures from our first class, visit my classmate Lesley's awesome blog.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yikes. That is a lot of staples. I can't wait to see/hear more about your class. Thanks for the update!